Everything You Need to Know about Adult Braces
More and more people are starting to realize just how important it is to have straight, properly aligned teeth. Not only does it give you a confidence booster and help improve your self-esteem, but it has considerable health benefits. With this new awareness people – now more than ever – are looking into getting adult braces.
If you are considering getting adult braces or curious about how they can help you, the following is a comprehensive guide that is a great introduction to the world of adult orthodontics.
Multiple Options Available for Adults Looking into Braces
Many adults are concerned about getting braces because they don’t want to walk around with a mouth full of wires, metal, and rubber bands. Luckily, thanks to the advancement of orthodontic technology metal braces aren’t the only treatment option available to adults. Adults can be treated using a number of different types of orthodontic treatments including traditional braces, Invisalign, Simpli5, or even veneers.
The type of orthodontic treatment that is recommended will vary depending upon the types of results you expect, the severity of your case, and your current budget. Patients with very minor problems who just want their teeth to cosmetically look better may be good candidates for porcelain veneers which are affordable and don’t involve a huge time commitment. Moderate to severe orthodontic cases may need to be corrected with Invisalign, traditional braces, or Simpli5.
The amount of time you will have to wear your braces will vary depending on the type of treatment and your individual case. Treatment times can range from six months to two years.
Traditional Braces can be Made to Blend in With Your Teeth
In the event your orthodontist suggests you get traditional braces, you still won’t be stuck with a mouth full of visible metal and wires. There is the option to choose clear braces.
Clear braces are uniquely designed to blend in with your natural teeth. They have all the same parts as traditional braces, such as wires, rubber bands, and brackets, but instead of being made out of noticeable or bright colors, they are made out of materials that look like your natural teeth.
Invisible braces or clear braces work the same way as traditional braces. The only difference is their appearance. Adults often prefer invisible braces because they are able to continue with their day-to-day lives without worrying about people noticing they have braces.
The Benefits of Getting Adult Braces
Braces are uniquely designed to shift and move your teeth into proper alignment. Once your teeth are properly aligned, you will notice a considerable difference. Some of the benefits people receive from straighter teeth include:
- Noticeable difference in how they speak
- Improved digestion as food is properly chewed
- Possible reduction in the number of headaches
- Improved self-confidence
- Improved oral health as teeth can be properly cleaned
Things to Consider When Thinking of Getting Adult Braces
Getting braces as an adult is a huge commitment. It is not a decision that you should make without carefully considering if you are able to make such a commitment.
Some of the things to consider when thinking about getting adult braces include:
- Financial commitment – Orthodontic treatment can cost anywhere from several hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. Patients need to be prepared to either pay the amount up front or make a commitment to regular monthly payments.
- Time commitment – Orthodontists typically need to see patients every four to six weeks. It is important to make sure you are able to make the commitment to getting to these appointments. If you are unable to get to the appointments you won’t get the results you expect from your braces.
- Lifestyle changes – Wearing braces comes with multiple lifestyle changes. Ask yourself if you are prepared to change your eating habits, avoid favorite foods and drinks, and regularly brush and floss.
After reading about adult braces there is a good chance you have even more questions. Feel free to schedule a consultation with Dr. Andrew E. Clark at Stevens Orthodontics. Dr. Clark will help you explore treatment options that will help you improve your smile while his staff will gladly answer any questions you may have about adult braces. Call the office today to schedule your complimentary consultation.